

NACIS 2014: July Board Meeting - Skype

Wednesday, July 9th, 2-3pm Pacific.

Summary of Tasks identified from the July Meeting

Synthesis of activities and tasks identified during the meeting for follow-up consideration and/or completion

General

-

Awards Committee

- —

Awards Committee

- —

Communications & Outreach Committee

-

Continuity Committee

- —

Finance Committee

- —

Membership Benefits Committee

- —

Nominations Committee

- —

Web Refresh Committee

-

Atlas of Design Committee

- —

Local Arrangements/NACIS 2014

-

Cartographic Perspectives

-

CartoTalk

- —

Board Composition:

Executive Leadership

Lou Cross | Executive Director-Annual Meeting Operators (will step down 10/2014)
Tanya Buckingham | Executive Director-Annual Meeting Operations (term expires 1/2016)
Susan Peschel | Business Operations (untermmed)
Daniel Huffman | Executive Director-Operations (term expires 1/2019)

Officers

Neil Allen | Past President (term expires 10/2014)
Nathaniel Kelso | President (term expires 10/2014)
Alex Tait | Vice President & Program Chair Pittsburgh (term expires 10/2014)
Amy Griffin | VP-Elect (term expires 10/2014)
Jenny Marie Johnson | Treasurer (term expires 10/2014)
Eliana Macdonald | Secretary (term expires 10/2015)

Board of Directors (returning)

Martha Bostwick (term expires 10/2014)*(regrets)*
Leo Dillon (term expires 10/2014)
Alethea Steingisser (term expires 10/2014)

Board of Directors (newly elected)

Elaine Guidero | Student Board Member (term expires 10/2014) *(regrets)*
Mamata Akella (term expires 10/2015)
Maggie Smith (term expires 10/2015)
Andy Woodruff (term expires 10/2015)

Ex-officio Members

Patrick Kennelly | Editor of Cartographic Perspectives
Hans van der Maarel | Editor of CartoTalk *(regrets)*

Meeting opened at 2:13pm Pacific

- Minutes Recorded by Eliana Macdonald
- [Agenda](#)

Welcome | Alex

[NACIS 2014 Finances](#) | Susan and Jenny

- JMJ: everything looking good, happy to say that we look at how we're anticipated, no gross overages, so just kinda pushing onto and thru the conference, and seeing what happens with nacis.org
- AT: pretty good with pittsburgh attendees, NVK will chair initial board meeting

[Nominations](#) | Neil

- who he has already slated: VP elect: Anthony Robinson (president in 2017, 4 additional board members, Leo and Alethea as incumbents, not sure how many we want, seems like enough. Other than that, Lauren Tierney, University of Oregon, running unopposed as student board member. Have bios for everyone. Need to figure out digital ballot.
- AT: how does the ballot go out?
- NVK: Tanya or Lou?
- Neil: Treasurer: Jenny for another two year stint, agreed in Greenville.
- Peter's done this in the past, not sure if new system is ready to deliver this. If not, then we go back to Peter.
- We need to post candidate list 60 days in advance of ABM, open ballot 30 days before that meeting
- Target august 1st and sept 1st, where we need to be.
- Alex will work with Nathaniel on this later this week.

[Membership Benefits Committee](#) | Mamata

- list of action items from committee board meeting. what we've done:
 - Tanya and Maggie were at SOTM had brought NACIS
 - Handed out some NACIS pamphlets to meetup participants
 - Board members took pamphlets
 - Tanya and daniel have been prototyping physical buttons, need to continue conversation
 - Maggie got awesome discount on NatGeo: 40% off map products for NACIS members
 - Contacted Riley Peake at ESRI. They don't have discount policy for organizations. Will bring 30 ESRI swag items to conf, put Riley in touch with Leo and Martha so they can continue conversation about how to distribute at conference
 - In progress: Alamo rental car discount. unlimited mileage, up to 10% off. Update to follow.
 - Will look into other discounts.
 - Ideas for t-shirts and pricing them out. Got quotes. Need to ask board for money, will dig deeper into exact amounts. 96 shirts for men and women. 1 colour: \$6.55/shirt, 2 \$6.86/shirt. \$660 for all 96.
 - Still discussing: make available to pre-order t-shirt for conference.
 - In addition to t-shirts, have stickers? \$210 for 500 stickers. Good quality stickers, durable.
 - Tanya and MA are going to break down the membership dues, put into write up on

- website. feedback on what's on the website.
 - Ideas for increasing diversity at conference? Tanya to organize a birds of a feather at SOTM.
- Alex: need to get the things for the annual meeting ready and in order. Will you be able to put a proposal together for the t-shirts?
- MA: yes, can put together a proposal
- Comments about whether this goes into reg form? Need to make decisions about that quickly. Design looks very close to what Alex has for conference.
- Leo: would be helpful to put on reg form, need to get \$ authorized, need to order, sizes, consider a two colour. Profits: student travel budget? Immediately: need board approval for funds.
- AT: need motion
- Mamata: ideas about stickers? pay? or badges?
- Leo: what about a thousand for both?
- Mamata: min # is 210,
- AT: go for the 500, we don't need board approval, already in budget.
- Mamata: good to know there's padding.
- AT: add Susan to small group to approving t-shirts and stickers.
- MA: need help figuring out sizes, the small group that's thinking about this.
- Leo: what to do with profit? Go to student travel?
- AT: I think that's fine, tie up details in small group. Travel grants sound fine.

Spring Board Meeting minutes:

- Any comments on minutes? Still some gaps?
- Eliana: would like to hold off on approval until people review - still some questions.
- NVK: lots of good content, let's wait on approving them until our next call, or doodle poll. Couple different people recorded these minutes, still needs one voice.

Cartographic Perspectives | Pat

- CP75 has come out. First American Printing version. Very happy with it. CP 76 currently in the works. CP77 guest issue with Anthony Robinson and Rob Roth.
- Nick Purdue was the winner of the student paper award. Will be announced to general membership at conference, but Nick will be told beforehand so that he can attend. Nick will be attending the conference this Oct so we can award him a cheque there. Board: please do not publicise Nick's award yet.
- Talked about DOI on articles. Because we have open journal system, they all have it. Doc Ob Identifier, can always find the article even in URL goes defunct. On website now.
- NVK: thanks to Pat for spearheading CP, the support your institution gives you is valued by the society.
- Pat: Pleasure to serve

Atlas of Design | Daniel

- Sold out of first edition. Have dozen copies as reserve stock (special occasions, VIPs, first printings, etc.)
- Total excess revenue from last few years is ~\$12,000, good momentum on the 2nd one. Copy editing of text, roundup material from contributors. Launch pre-sale next month, so we know how many people.
- NVK: New naxis.org or old FREAC system for new 2nd edition sales?

- D: new please?
- NVK: have talked to contractor, looked at Admin to see if any problems?
- D: nope, not yet.
- NVK: new site ready to go live soon
- D: prelim layout of 2nd edition this week or the next after. Have decisions before numbers can be finalized.
- NVK: Updated numbers
- D: will let you know if things come up that need to be discussed. 21% of copies went to non-Canada/US countries.
- NVK: language?
- D: Call for Participation was translated, maybe other marketing out in other languages (on website only). Translating book would be very expensive.
- NVK: Lou was asking if website was being translated?
- D: nope (only the call for participation).

Web Refresh | Nathaniel

- NVK: tools down while things busy at NVK's work, contractor had other projects to work on. They've picked back up the final tasks. Completed all core functionality. Documented how to use the site, have sent out [manual](#). Small details: speed of site, publically launching as new nacis.org, final payment system seems to sorted (Stripe.com), new members at existing nacis.org on FREAC server need to be pulled over to new site's server. Lots of rough edges on the beta site still, please browse around it and ideally tell NVK how to fix it, not just identify problem. At the end of this month, will go live, and will include annual meeting registration and pre-orders for AoD. All pieces are in place. Questions?
- Alethea: think it looks fantastic, great job carrying it through. What help to do you need? Copy and artwork?
- NVK: artwork that needs to be integrated, sign up for github if you want new. Lou if you want to help, we'd love it now.
- One caveat: Improvements to sister sites (CP, cartotalk) for syncing passwords, etc. was dropped to instead focus on Stripe payment system, back end tools, and automatic membership dues renewal. Now option to auto-renew, will gain some stability in membership. At least we know there will be more stability around that.
- Balloting... right now that is not implemented. Recommendation for this year: we use the FREAC system. Probably engage with Peter to re-implement the system in the new environment. Don't know if we need to vote on that. Peter already has some \$ allocated to him, need to find out details.
- NVK: Tanya will talk to Peter.

CartoTalk | Hans via Nathaniel

- no update from Hans.

Communications & Outreach | Daniel

- can hold off for now.

Awards Committee | Leo

- nothing that can't wait.
- Haven't heard anything from Martha lately.
- NVK will follow up with Martha.

Pittsburgh Program | Alex

- Wrapped up participation and submission of abstracts in middle of June. Presentation stats: 91 for main program, people wanted to get in late, have waiting list. Full schedule.
- Amy and AT back, have sessions roughed out, but not schedule, will work out over next week. Have something for people to look at early next week. get that out, registration our priority, after will be schedule.
- NACIS Night Out: have venue and price. Will work with Caitlin Scopel to get band to make exciting.
- Susan: Penguins home game on thurs. Game starts at 7. Blue Line Grill will honour contract. We can delay our start to 7 or 7:30. We will wait patiently for the crowds to clear. Kitchen will have a bit of time to recover. No one has asked people about band, need specifics. No one has said how much it will cost. that will need to be articulated to Blue Line Grill. Need specifics around musicians and how much room they'll need, and if Katy thinks they have room. Reg form says 6:30, need to change (NVK to update).
- AT: first thing: will they allow us to bring band in?
- Three field trips: prices, saturday. could do one, two or all three. Warhol, Walking and Whiskey. Great line up. Nathaniel, do you have descriptions?
- NVK: need names and descriptions. Key part missing is paid workshops and descriptions for those.
- AT: will get you those this week. Have four half day workshops.
- NVK: you have confirmed the space for two rooms all day. NVK, AT, Amy and Susan need to talk staffing Saturdays, let's discussion in person in Pittsburgh.
- AT: need to talk about AV for the whole conf.
- NVK: next big task is the AV order.
- AT: promotion. Set up schedule with NACIS emails. One to participants, ask for confirmation they're still doing it. Third one to entire NACIS membership to invite their friends.
- Coordinate with social media? fb, twitter, wired.
- EM: want forwardable email.
- AT: yep, will do that. Prepping something to out to other carto groups.
- NVK: also paired up to other mapping org, are you sending out email to their membership?
- AT: yes, i need to do that, on list to coordinate with Autocarto, will get in touch with Dan Cole. Daniel, you're in charge of social media.
- Daniel: yes, have a team, and delegate things. Have NACIS twitter handle now.
- AT: will come up with my version of social media plan. Get input on it, implement phase by phase.
- AT: reg form is required now.
- Susan: have specific questions, will ask after?
- NVK: Yes, email or call me.

NACIS 2015 | Susan

- Minneapolis. contract signed. Even is on Michelle's calendar, will be available to come and do as much as needed (phone call - check). Amy has thoughts, will send sort list. Will take light rail to see what that's like.

Meeting Adjourned at 3:15pm Pacific

Skype chat:

[2:13:14 PM] *** Alex Tait added Eliana Macdonald ***
[2:13:28 PM] Lou Cross: ok
[2:14:02 PM] Neil Allen: Hans is watching the World Cup no doubt.
[2:14:06 PM] *** mrmunion added Tanya ***
[2:14:06 PM] *** Tanya needs to update Skype to participate in this chat. Help by sending them to skype.com/updates. Learn more about new group chat. ***
[2:14:20 PM] Lou Cross: today's the day!
[2:14:25 PM] Lou Cross: to run with the bulls
[2:14:27 PM] Lou Cross: right?
[2:14:34 PM] Lou Cross: 6-5
[2:14:53 PM] Lou Cross: Argentina is winning
[2:15:38 PM] *** Tanya can now participate in this chat. ***
[2:15:52 PM] *** Alex Tait added awwoodruff ***
[2:16:15 PM] Lou Cross: Andy are you OK? Are you OK Andy... Smooth Criminal
[2:16:50 PM] *** Lou Cross added pat.kennelly ***
[2:16:55 PM] Lou Cross: I can add Pat
[2:17:25 PM] *** Lou Cross added Jenny Marie Johnson ***
[2:17:40 PM] Maggie Smith: I think we need elaine still: elaineguidero
[2:17:52 PM] Alex Tait: Elaine is not on Skype.
[2:18:02 PM] Maggie Smith: gotchya
[2:18:12 PM] Jenny Marie Johnson: I'm FINALLY here!!!!
[2:18:17 PM] Tanya: Welcome!
[2:18:25 PM] Lou Cross: let me know
[2:18:29 PM] Lou Cross: if there are other people
[2:18:30 PM] Jenny Marie Johnson: And I can hear!!!
[2:18:32 PM] Lou Cross: that need to be added
[2:18:42 PM] amy-griffin: Is Martha here?
[2:18:43 PM] Susan Peschel: good Jenny!
[2:18:49 PM] Maggie Smith: <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fLdSEdJXNTFMxjsBxbZCm0hWbgvjYru2o7RalzXbSpE/edit>
[2:19:06 PM] Lou Cross: i have to leave the call no later than 6:25pm EST
[2:20:21 PM] Neil Allen:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/cc?key=0Ahq7T7Y5ae_QdFBLVjRKeXlXNE12LUdaVXNMbk4wbnc&usp=drive_web#gid=0
[2:20:40 PM] Lou Cross: Woohoo!
[2:20:43 PM] Lou Cross: that's great news
[2:21:04 PM] mamataakella: hello
[2:21:25 PM] Maggie Smith: welcome mamata!
[2:21:42 PM] Susan Peschel: Great job Neil!!!!
[2:22:19 PM] Jenny Marie Johnson: Ballet also includes Treasurer??
[2:22:31 PM] Susan Peschel: One of the many things Lou (Peter) did.
[2:22:38 PM] Alex Tait: Thanks Jenny Marie!!
[2:22:42 PM] Lou Cross: Peter will do the programming again
[2:22:42 PM] Jenny Marie Johnson: No problem!!! just wanted to make sure that it was on there!!!!
[2:22:45 PM] Lou Cross: using the same system
[2:22:47 PM] Lou Cross: if needed
[2:23:01 PM] Lou Cross: right
[2:23:02 PM] Lou Cross: they
[2:23:05 PM] Lou Cross: have been looking into
[2:23:10 PM] Lou Cross: this other interface
[2:23:12 PM] Lou Cross: 30 days from
[2:23:19 PM] Lou Cross: Business Meeting for voting
[2:23:25 PM] Lou Cross: post the candidates list
[2:23:27 PM] Lou Cross: 60 days
[2:23:33 PM] Lou Cross: on the website
[2:23:35 PM] Lou Cross: or via mail

[2:23:37 PM] Lou Cross: yes
[2:25:58 PM] Tanya: That's awesome!
[2:26:05 PM] Lou Cross: very cool
[2:26:06 PM] mrrmunion: Hooray!
[2:26:13 PM] amy-griffin: Great!
[2:27:21 PM] amy-griffin: You have been busy, Mamata!
[2:32:05 PM] Tanya: Great summary, Mamata!
[2:32:38 PM] mamataakella: thanks! :)
[2:32:47 PM] Susan Peschel: what about t shirt design
[2:34:00 PM] Tanya: pre-order
[2:34:50 PM] Jenny Marie Johnson: We budgeted \$2000 in a line designated "Communications and Branding" which my notes indicate are funds to be spent "internal" to NACIS.
[2:35:02 PM] Tanya: still tweaking designs but you can see the buttons that were part of the twitter campaign here, t-shirts will be similar: <https://twitter.com/NACIS/status/472449180917854209/photo/1>
[2:35:12 PM] Susan Peschel: I'm for preorder because logistics of selling at least at busiest time will be hard.
[2:35:40 PM] Tanya: can we just give a sticker to everyone?
[2:35:45 PM] Jenny Marie Johnson: Sticker should go into registration packet.
[2:35:49 PM] Tanya: this would be out of the budget
[2:35:50 PM] mamataakella: yeah, that's what i want to do!
[2:35:54 PM] Tanya: for the conference
[2:36:07 PM] Tanya: buttons, stickers would be out of the conference budget
[2:36:52 PM] amy-griffin: If we roll profits into student travel grants we can put that into the form near the donation item that is already there.
[2:36:58 PM] Neil Allen: Free shirts for first 100 people who register? Just looking for an incentive to get people rolling earlier rather than later.
[2:37:03 PM] Tanya: it's all conference budget. and is cost recovery.
[2:37:16 PM] Tanya: free t-shirts adds a problem of sizing
[2:37:32 PM] Neil Allen: First 100 XL people?
[2:37:33 PM] Tanya: Great idea, Amy!
[2:37:43 PM] *** Lou Cross added Nathaniel ***
[2:37:55 PM] Tanya: Amy, great idea to use the proceeds for travel grants for students!
[2:38:16 PM] amy-griffin: Leo's idea, not mine!
[2:38:28 PM] Tanya: Great idea!
[2:38:53 PM] Nathaniel: sorry I'm late
[2:39:00 PM] Tanya: welcome!
[2:39:43 PM] Susan Peschel: yes
[2:39:46 PM] Maggie Smith: yep
[2:39:48 PM] amy-griffin: Yes
[2:39:51 PM] pat.kennelly: Yes
[2:40:22 PM] Maggie Smith: <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ilgS9RRrc1UetDXohiWfDtw0vwLLCInyIEYyf7LmwGY/edit>
[2:41:20 PM] Jenny Marie Johnson: For t-shirt order sizes, there are a number of places on the web that seem to have suggestions on distribution of sizes.
[2:41:31 PM] mamataakella: oh, ok! cool
[2:41:35 PM] mamataakella: good to know
[2:42:18 PM] mrrmunion: Someone is loudly typing. Having trouble hearing Pat.
[2:42:42 PM] amy-griffin: Please mute your mic if you're not typing
[2:42:50 PM] amy-griffin: Talking!
[2:44:16 PM] pat.kennelly: Yay
[2:44:17 PM] Nathaniel: excellent!
[2:44:48 PM] Neil Allen: Don't forget to keep a couple for archival purposes.
[2:44:58 PM] Lou Cross: :)
[2:45:07 PM] pat.kennelly: Cha-ching!
[2:45:17 PM] Tanya: we were all nervous! ;)
[2:46:42 PM] Susan Peschel: We have at least one here for archival purposes.
[2:47:46 PM] amy-griffin: Thanks for your work on this Daniel!
[2:47:56 PM] Nathaniel: wow!
[2:48:00 PM] amy-griffin: Cool!

[2:48:06 PM] Lou Cross: In Ter Nat Shunal
[2:48:48 PM] Lou Cross: what about the website/blog
[2:49:00 PM] Lou Cross: to have multiple languages
[2:49:59 PM] Lou Cross: IT IS A HUGE THING>>> IT IS AN ATLAS OF DESIGN II
[2:52:45 PM] Neil Allen: What about balloting? Is the new site ready for it?
[2:53:16 PM] Lou Cross: it's AWESOME.
[2:53:17 PM] Susan Peschel: Yes, looks great!
[2:54:04 PM] Lou Cross: uhhhh
[2:54:15 PM] Lou Cross: help migrate
[2:54:21 PM] Lou Cross: art/content?
[2:54:37 PM] Lou Cross: MUTE
[2:54:39 PM] Lou Cross: IF
[2:54:40 PM] Lou Cross: YOU
[2:54:41 PM] Lou Cross: ARE
[2:54:43 PM] Lou Cross: NOT
[2:54:44 PM] Lou Cross: TALKING
[2:54:47 PM] Lou Cross: PLEASE
[2:55:32 PM] Susan Peschel: We are having steady stream of renewals and new memberships...a few every day it seems and a lot of new people.
[2:55:50 PM] Tanya: I can take care of this
[2:56:18 PM] Susan Peschel: We are WAY ahead of schedule for that, so it can be done at almost any time and then be ready to go for August 1 and Sept 1 deadlines.
[2:56:24 PM] Tanya: yes
[2:56:31 PM] Tanya: I will talk to peter
[2:56:50 PM] Neil Allen: Thanks Tanya. Just let me know when you need the content for the ballot.
[2:57:12 PM] Tanya: nope
[2:57:16 PM] Tanya: next call
[2:57:59 PM] Susan Peschel: I have a few specific questions about Pittsburgh conf but if Alex, Tanya, NVK can stay on after this I can ask those questions then.
[2:58:07 PM] amy-griffin: Deadlines are soon
[2:58:45 PM] Lou Cross: field trips
[2:58:56 PM] Lou Cross: info from Tanya (she had to go)
[2:58:57 PM] Lou Cross: assuming 12 people
Warhol workshop 10-1p (\$35)
Walking tour 2-4p (\$20)
Wigle Whiskey 6:30p (\$60)
[2:59:13 PM] Lou Cross: e-mail from July 2 is still valid
[2:59:47 PM] Neil Allen: Likewsie on program planning. There appears to always be gaps.
[3:00:05 PM] Nathaniel: <https://www.nacis.dreamhosters.com/events/annual-meeting-2014/>
[3:00:28 PM] Nathaniel: Form still needs some descriptive text and workshop names and descriptions.
[3:00:50 PM] Lou Cross: do they serve alcohol?
[3:01:35 PM] Maggie Smith: everyone, sorry but I have to leave the office tonight at 6pm EST sharp!
[3:01:43 PM] Maggie Smith: signing off, and will talk to some of you soon
[3:01:54 PM] mrmunion: Bye!
[3:01:58 PM] Lou Cross: buh bye
[3:02:05 PM] Maggie Smith: ciao!
[3:05:42 PM] Susan Peschel: yes, rooms on hold for workshops
[3:05:51 PM] Susan Peschel: It was non existant!
[3:06:04 PM] Neil Allen: Ultimately the program chairs responsibility.
[3:06:12 PM] Susan Peschel: Bad hotel...we got fee returned
[3:08:41 PM] mrmunion: For social media, just drop me an email and I can loop in Katie Kowalsky, a very media-savvy undergrad here who is handling Twitter/Facebook for us.
[3:10:41 PM] Neil Allen: Susan and I are on top of the badges. I have them designed. She has proven they will print OK.
[3:10:57 PM] mrmunion: Tanya has left the room.
[3:11:49 PM] Lou Cross: I have to go in a few mins...
[3:12:11 PM] mrmunion: Will do!
[3:12:13 PM] Neil Allen: Take care...

[3:12:16 PM] pat.kennelly: bye

[3:12:20 PM] awwoodruff: Bye all!

[3:12:20 PM] Jenny Marie Johnson: Bye all!!

[3:12:22 PM] mrmunion: Bye!

[3:15:13 PM] amy-griffin: Alex, I have to go, but let's touch base about the schedule tomorrow?

[3:15:51 PM] Alex Tait: yes. let's connect tomorrow.

[3:15:57 PM] *** Group call ***