

NACIS Board Meeting

Topic: Oct. 1st board meeting - last-minute conference planning & troubleshooting

Time: 2:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Zoom Meeting

<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86312860223?pwd=bE5rNHhxcDd0ZXUwZk13QzNMVMTM2UT09>

Executive Office (non-voting)

X Susan Peschel, Business Manager
X Martha Bostwick, Associate Business Manager
X Ginny Mason, Director of Continuity
Nick Martinelli, Director of Operations
X Jenny Marie Johnson, Executive Director

Executive Board (voting)

Pat Kennelly, Past President (*term expires 10/23*)
X Travis White, President (*term expires 10/23*)
X Brooke Marston, Vice President (*term expires 10/23*)
X Hannah Dormido, Vice President Elect (*term expires 10/23*)
X Hans van der Maarel, Secretary (*term expires 10/23*)
X Neil Allen, Treasurer (*term expires 10/24*)

Board of Directors (voting)

X Alex Fries (*term expires 10/23*)
X Vicky Johnson-Dahl (*term expires 10/23*)
Kate Leroux (*term expires 10/23*)
X LaToya Gray-Sparks, Student Board Member (*term expires 10/23*)
X Sarah Bell (*term expires 10/24*)
X Bill Limpisathian (*term expires 10/24*)
Becca Ramsey (*term expires 10/24*)
X Chelsea Nestel, Student Board Member (*term expires 10/24*)

Ex-Officio (non-voting)

Jim Thatcher, *Cartographic Perspectives* Editor
X Nat Case, Atlas of Design

10 of 14 voting board members attend, we have quorum

Welcome (Everyone, 2 min)

Approval of minutes (Travis, 2 min)

- [July 25th meeting minutes](#)

Motion to approve the minutes
No discussion
Minutes approved unanimously

Bylaws Change (Travis, 2 min)

- [Pronouns revision](#)
 - Can someone please go through the document and make sure I didn't miss anything?
- Travis: Striking 3 year limit on student membership. Please review and check whether this new language reflects what was previously discussed.

Thanks everybody for taking the DEI training, although some board members haven't started it yet, please complete it before the meeting.

Code of Conduct (Travis & Jenny, 10 minutes)

- [Updated Code of Conduct, draft 4](#)

Jenny Marie: we decided to update the code of conduct because last year we were put in the position where we had a code of conduct but no actual actions that we could take. We went looking at other c-o-c's and found one for Cartographic Perspectives!

Brooke: I did comment on the section about scheduling a board meeting to discuss a report while earlier we say we treat this confidential

Jenny Marie: this is for incidents that are so big that we would have to consider a step such as banning somebody from attending.

Brooke: understood

Travis: we can work on the language

Nat: I'm worried a bit about the words 'unwarranted' and "offensive", which are judgement calls. There's nothing in the code that addresses this grey area.

Travis: we'll work that into the next draft

Brooke: how do we announce this?

Travis: Slack and social media, but only after board approval on Tuesday

- New [Misconduct report form](#) (thank Kate for setting this up!)

Brooke: where can I leave comments on this form?

Travis: C-o-C draft would be a good place.

Travis: we still need to add an auto-generated email after the form.

- New reporting@nacis.org address that forwards to execdir@nacis.org

Executive Position descriptions (Ginny, 2 minutes)

- [NACIS Executive Board - Position Descriptions v 2.0.docx](#)

Ginny: Please review and suggest edits

Ginny: I have documents going back 17 years, need to transfer ownership, will coordinate with Martha, Hans and Josh

Martha: I'd love to have your documents

Quick discussion on lack of diversity on election ballot (Bill, 5 min)

- Ensuring diversity on ballot going forward

Bill: we've made large moves re. DEI, but the current ballot doesn't reflect that. Feel this is bad in terms of optics but also long-term leadership

Travis: it's been a repeated item of discussion at every DEI meeting. There's many people who would be great candidates but may feel nervous about putting their name forward, we need to work on this.

Neil: We're making strides, can't expect them to happen instantaneously

Travis: we'll continue this discussion at the tuesday board meeting

2023 Conference Updates (Brooke & Hannah)

- As of Friday, over 300 registrants!
- Program is being printed & shipped to the Sheraton – big thanks to David Lambert, Elaine Guidero, and Tim Welch for their contributions.
- Current MC numbers**:
 - Presentations = 104
 - Panels = 6
 - Birds of a Feather = 2
 - Workshops = 2 (15 registered in each)
 - Field trips = 1
 - **Confirming registration w/ Martha
- Still awaiting several speaker confirmations (Vicky, can you follow up w/ moderators?)

Brooke: I'll also email from VP account

Vicky: if you are a moderator and haven't heard from speakers put NO RESPONSE in the spreadsheet.

- Cancellation/refund policy posted to website - thank you for your contributions!
- Slack channels have been added to Sched
- Name tags & pronouns: there will be stickers available at registration for people to add if they want
- Volunteer list:
 - Room signs: ?? (LaToya Gray-Sparks)
 - Registration: Susan and Martha
 - Tuesday night meet-up: Erik Breedon
 - Lunch bunch: Molly O'Halloran
 - Fun run: Carl Sack
 - Map gallery: Amy Rock
 - Name tags: Neil Allen
 - PCD: Lou Ginart, Nathaniel Douglass
 - New Attendee Ambassadors: Sarah Bell, Nathaniel Douglass
 - Map Quilt/GeoScavange: David Lambert
 - Slack managers: Bill Limpisathian & Vicky Johnson-Dahl
 - Geopardy: Dennis McClendon & Joanna Merson
 - Moderator coordinator: Vicky Johnson-Dahl
 - Projector set-up: Daniel Huffman

- Keynote: at their request, no pre-keynote dinner this year
- What is the process for map gallery voting this year (digital, paper ballots)?

Brooke: Bill reached out to Amy re. This but she didn't respond yet.

Bill: we did paper last year right?

Martha: no, Amy did a digital ballot. She'll do it again this year.

- Banquet:
 - Welcome & PetraKucha talks = 5 (Brooke)
 - Thank yous (Brooke)
 - Student Cartography Awards (Bill?)
 - Prizes for GeoScavange (David Lambert)
 - AOD announcement for vol. 7 (Nat Case/AOD team)
 - 2024 reveal (Hannah)
- Working with Kate to get the census survey added to current meeting page

Brooke: what's the response been so far?

Travis: ~200, good response

- Announcements to make at meeting:
 - Code of Conduct + reporting procedure (Travis)
 - Put up in gallery?
 - DO NOT RECORD & no rogue live streaming
 - General announcements will be made on the #Announcement Slack channel
 - General announcements occur at:
 - PCD breaks
 - Opening session/keynote
 - Thursday business lunch
 - Friday banquet
 - We will remind moderators of important announcements on the private #Moderator Slack channel
- What am I missing/forgetting?

Neil: last-minute registrants that get printed on-site will get a different-looking name tag (light background instead of dark)

PCD

Hannah: 221 registrants, which is great.

We're getting pencils with NACIS PCD logo for a bingo game.

Got raffle tix from Martha.

Got lots of raffle items, loads! Try and bundle them based on value and have winners pick

Bill: so many prizes, maybe we should sell raffle tickets?

Neil: if we do that, shouldn't we have told the people who donated stuff about that?

Hannah: yes, we're aware of that and for that reason won't sell tickets this year, but maybe next year.

Hannah:

Lou and Nathaniel host the day, but I want to start with the code of conduct.

One speaker cancellation, will try to use the time for an icebreaker

Travis: congratulations to Brooke and Hannah (and all volunteers)

Travis: who is driving back? In case Hannah's suitcase is full

** various people **

Martha: I'll put together a spreadsheet with board member travel arrangements

Travis: what content do we need for the annual business meeting? Finance, AoD, anything else?

Martha: Awards often give an update about travel grants and student competition

Bill: I'd be happy to do that.

Brooke: We didn't get an undergraduate scholarship research submission this year, right?

Martha: CP or scholarship? There was no suitable submission to CP this year according to Jim.

Martha: is the scholarship still going for next year, we may have a donation for that in memory of a map enthusiast who was killed in a car accident

Bill: yes, still ongoing. Talked with Fritz about it, no applications this year and the quality previously was low. We need to make this more known among undergrads.

Travis: is there printing on-site or near the hotel?

Cartographic Perspectives (Jim is absent but sent the following updates - will talk about it on tuesday)

- I was hoping to have the second issue out before NACIS, but it's now going to be just after NACIS. We had an article stall a bit in copy-editing.
- We're tentatively on track for a third issue this year, but it may end up actually releasing in early next (this isn't uncommon recently, but it's something I'm looking to end).
- My plan to regularize submissions a bit using special issues is going well with two actively being worked on (your ethics one and a speculative one run by Will Payne and Eve McGlynn).
- I've approached a few people to handle the Indigenous issue, but haven't found anyone willing to yet (Margaret Pearce couldn't, but very kindly gave me a list of suggestions).
- Some of the new section editors are having a bit of trouble finding regular content, so I'm planning meetings with them during NACIS to discuss.

NACIS Shop (Rebecca is absent but anyone looking for specifics can view doc below)

- [NACIS Shop Updates](#)
- Under Budget by ~\$380.
 - A portion going toward an additional purchase of 200 pencils for PCD with nacis logo on them (ask Hannah for details). ~\$144
 - Remaining will cover credit card fees the square produces (estimated fees in linked document above should be less than ~\$236)
- NACIS Shop sales at the conference include
 - Conference Shirt \$25 per

- Enamel Globe Pin \$6 per
 - NACIS is Nicest Sticker \$3 per
- Payments accepted:
 - Credit cards will be accepted via Square
 - Venmo
 - If electronic version of payments have issue or errors we will swap to accepting exact cash only.
- NACIS Shop hours worked by Rebecca and anyone else on the board who wants to help :) Set up beside or with Registration Table.
 - 8 - 9 am Thursday & Friday
 - 5 - 6 pm Thursday & Friday
- Rebecca will transport all shop items to conference.

Other items of business

Neil: will talk to Susan and Martha about what finance reports I need to submit.

Travis: let me know if I need to add anything to the agenda for the tuesday board meeting or business meeting

Travis: how long do I have to speak at the business meeting? And do I need to allow people to have announcements? Prefer not to have people speak if I don't know what they'll talk about

Ginny: we have about half an hour of speaking, but also need to pass gavel to Brooke