

NACIS Board Meeting

Topic: Oct. 10th board meeting - last-minute conference planning & troubleshooting

Time: 6:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Zoom Meeting

<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84308369493?pwd=ZU1lcGpramdktNVOaS82bzYxdVhtQT09>

Executive Office (non-voting)

- X Susan Peschel, Business Manager
- X Martha Bostwick, Associate Business Manager
- X Ginny Mason, Director of Continuity
- X Nick Martinelli, Director of Operations
- X Jenny Marie Johnson, Executive Director

Executive Board (voting)

- X Pat Kennelly, Past President (*term expires 10/23*)
- X Travis White, President (*term expires 10/23*)
- X Brooke Marston, Vice President (*term expires 10/23*)
- X Hannah Dormido, Vice President Elect (*term expires 10/23*)
- X Hans van der Maarel, Secretary (*term expires 10/23*)
- X Neil Allen, Treasurer (*term expires 10/24*)

Board of Directors (voting)

- Alex Fries (*term expires 10/23*)
- X Vicky Johnson-Dahl (*term expires 10/23*)
- X Kate Leroux (*term expires 10/23*)
- X LaToya Gray-Sparks, Student Board Member (*term expires 10/23*)
- X Sarah Bell (*term expires 10/24*)
- X Bill Limpisathian (*term expires 10/24*)
- X Becca Ramsey (*term expires 10/24*)
- X Chelsea Nestel, Student Board Member (*term expires 10/24*) via Zoom

Ex-Officio (non-voting)

- X Jim Thatcher, *Cartographic Perspectives* Editor
- Nat Case, Atlas of Design

Other

- X Joshua Ryan (incoming secretary)
- X Joanna Merson (incoming board member)

Welcome (Everyone, 2 min)

Approval of minutes (Travis, 2 min)

- [Oct 1st meeting minutes](#)

Motion to approve the minutes

No discussion

No dissent

Minutes approved

Bylaws Voting (Travis, 2 min)

- [Pronouns revision](#)
- [Student Member eligibility](#)
- Online ballot: <https://nacis.org/2023-proposed-bylaw-revisions/>

Travis: To be voted on by the members at the meeting, some members have come forward indicating that they'd like their votes to be private, hence an online ballot has been created. A QR code will be shown at the start meeting

Nick: Do we need to have a certain number of votes for it to be valid?

Travis: "a majority of the people present", people need to bring a laptop or phone to vote

Brooke: except that we don't have wifi...

Travis: #T@!

Jim: Is the language about the number of people present at the **meeting** or at the **business meeting**? How do we count?

Travis; we let them log in to the member account

Joanna: what are the options? Approve or not?

Kate; I can add an abstain option

Chelsea: can we hand out a paper ballot?

Travis: yes we can, but then we need to tally and announce at the meeting, extra work

Martha; we don't have to announce at the meeting, we can also do that on Friday

Jenny Marie: how many non-members are registered?

Susan: we can figure that out

Kate: what if we have electronic ballot but also some paper ones at the meeting as backup for the people who can't do online

Kate: but... logging in doesn't require active membership...

Nick; yes, so honor system

Susan: can we email members?

Martha: yes, we have to give them 15 days to cast their votes

Travis: final solution: we'll use the QR code, I can also print them out for on the tables, with printout of the bylaws. Paper as backup.

Code of Conduct (Travis & Jenny, 5 minutes)

- [Finalized Code of Conduct](#)
- New [Misconduct report form](#) (thank Kate for setting this up!)
- New reporting@nacis.org address that forwards to execdir@nacis.org

Travis: New code of conduct is a living, evolving document. We don't have any reports that we can test this on, I hope we never get one but realistically, we don't know how good this code is until we actually need to use it.

Ethics committee is business director, vice-president and president

Martha: is the Ethics committee permanent or temporary?

Travis: it's an acting committee, but we need to make a board vote on it.

Ethics committee are the only people to have access to all information about the report, the rest of the board only get anonymized information to protect the identity of the people involved.

Travis: I will edit the code of conduct on the website tonight. Will mention it at the start of PCD tomorrow

Nick: we don't audit visits to our website, what if people find the form and hack it?

Kate: there is a setting to not store the data, just email it directly.

Neil: do we mention why we are taking this step?

Travis: I will mention, in broad terms, the two incidents from last year

DEI Training (Travis, 2 min)

- All except for Nathaniel Douglass & the new directors at large

2023 Census (Travis, 5 min)

- Preliminary results I'll share during ABM:
<https://nacis.org/2023-proposed-bylaw-revisions/>

2023 Conference Updates (Brooke & Hannah)

- Keynote

Keynote speaker did not feel well today, will monitor situation and let us know tomorrow

- Room change on Friday from Grand Station I to Admiral Ballroom (what to do about Slack channel?)

Bill took care of Slack channel

- Current MC numbers:
 - Presentations = 100
 - Panels = 6
 - Birds of a Feather = 2 (move these to Edenberg room?)
 - Workshops = 2 (15 registered in each)
 - Field trips = 1
- Banquet:
 - Welcome & thank yous (Brooke)
 - PetraKucha talks = 4 (Travis)
 - Student Cartography Awards (Bill)
 - Prizes for GeoScavange (David Lambert)
 - 2024 reveal (Hannah)

- Geodweeb announcement (Brooke)

PCD

Hannah: we're ready, I need to sharpen 300 pencils.

We have 19 speakers in total, we do bingo for prizes (we have soooo many!)

Cartographic Perspectives (Jim)

- I was hoping to have the second issue out before NACIS, but it's now going to be just after NACIS. We had an article stall a bit in copy-editing. Da.niel will start work on that after this meeting. We've had a few new editors this year that needed some more guidance.
- A longer term goal is that the board can suggest topics for special issues and I can work on them
- We're tentatively on track for a third issue this year, but it may end up actually releasing in early next (this isn't uncommon recently, but it's something I'm looking to end).
- My plan to regularize submissions a bit using special issues is going well with two actively being worked on ([Nat and Aileen's] ethics one and a speculative one run by Will Payne and Eve McGlynn).
- I've approached a few people to handle the Indigenous issue, but haven't found anyone willing to yet (Margaret Pearce couldn't, but very kindly gave me a list of suggestions). If anybody has suggestions please let me know.
- Some of the new section editors are having a bit of trouble finding regular content, so I'm planning meetings with them during NACIS to discuss.

Martha: was there a student paper competition winner?

Jim: No, nobody submitted

Bill; similar for the undergrad opportunities. Apparently we are doing something wrong.

Rebecca: I can bring that up with the mentor program

Jim: I also want to not do the CP editor board meeting at a restaurant, still want to thank the editors though but having a meeting while drinks are served is not ok.

NACIS Shop (Rebecca)

- [NACIS Shop Updates](#)
- NACIS Shop sales at the conference include
 - Conference Shirt \$25 per
 - Enamel Globe Pin \$6 per
 - NACIS is Nicest Sticker \$3 per
- Payments accepted:
 - Credit cards will be accepted via Square
 - Venmo
 - If electronic version of payments have issue or errors we will swap to accepting exact cash only. Unless we can have an option to go over and have the change be a donation

- NACIS Shop hours worked by Rebecca and anyone else on the board who wants to help :) Set up beside or with Registration Table.
 - 8 - 9 am Thursday & Friday
 - 5 - 6 pm Thursday & Friday

WIFI

Brooke: we discovered the wifi is not available in the meeting rooms unless you're a speaker.

Sarah: there is an access code

Travis: we're probably not allowed to share that

Neil: what would the cost be?

Martha/Susan; probably around \$20k